The holidays are upon us and winter is here. This can be a difficult time for anyone who suffers from sensitive teeth. Hot drinks and cold air don’t go hand-in-hand. Even taking a short breath of cold weather can hurt some people. For this reason, we’ve come up with some tips on how to battle sensitive teeth during this wonderful holiday season:
- Lessen your intake of acidic foods – The acids will eat at your tooth enamel which in turn causes sensitivity. Reducing your intake of acidic foods can really help reduce sensitivity in your teeth.
- Ask your dentist about specific brushing techniques – Even brushing too hard can cause sensitivity so make sure you are using the right amount of pressure and the correct technique.
- Visit your dentist on a regular basis – Having excellent oral care habits is not enough. You need to visit a dentist regularly in order to have a cleaning and check-up.
- Drink more water – In order to have good oral health, you must stay hydrated. Winter months are cold and dry which will dry your skin as well, so drink up!
- Use toothpaste that is made specifically for sensitive teeth – A good option is Sensodyne. Ingredients in Sensodyne toothpaste will help alleviate pain and protect your teeth. If you don’t have toothpaste for sensitive teeth, please stop by for a check-up and we will give you some.
Causes of having sensitive teeth include acid erosion, gum disease, toothbrush abrasion and more. There are ways to treat it, so speak to your dentist.
Visit us at Eagle Rock Dental Care at our Idaho Falls, Rexburg, or Arco locations regularly in order to be sure that your oral health continues to be excellent. During the holidays is a great time to come and visit us. We look forward to seeing you!