Have you ever wondered if the white spots on your teeth are simply stains or if they’re actually signs of tooth decay? If so, it’s important to schedule an appointment with a dentist as soon as possible, as missing this early stage of decay can have devastating effects on your oral health later in life. But here’s some good news: To fix these issues without completely replacing your teeth, you can opt for crowns and veneers. At Eagle Rock Dental Care, we offer both services so that you can get the smile you’ve always wanted.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps that are placed over teeth. Dental crowns are placed over your existing tooth(s) by your dentist to restore your mouth’s shape, strength, and function. They are often used to restore a tooth’s function and appearance following a root canal procedure or to protect a weak tooth from breaking. In some cases, they may also be used for cosmetic purposes. A dental crown can be made of porcelain, metal alloys such as gold or titanium, composite resin material (white filling), or a combination of materials. They’re especially helpful for people who have lost teeth or broken their teeth.
They can be used in a number of ways:
- They can be used to restore a tooth that has been broken or lost due to decay or damage
- They can protect a tooth from further damage so that you don’t have to replace the whole tooth
- They can help preserve your smile when you have braces and need to wear an appliance on your teeth daily (this is called “fixed partial”).
Dental Crown Aftercare
When you get a dental crown, you’ll want to ensure it stays healthy over the long term. Here’s how:
- Avoid chewing gum or hard foods for the first few days.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Make sure you floss every day! This can prevent infection in the years following your crown.
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco, which can lead to gum infections and decay.
The veneers are very popular because they are versatile and easy to use. They allow you to get the look of a new smile without the need for major surgery or dental work. If you’ve been thinking about getting veneers, but aren’t sure if it’s right for you, don’t worry — we can help!
Veneers are made from a thin layer of composite material bonded onto your teeth. They can be made from porcelain, plastic, or other materials. The process is simple: we start by taking impressions of your teeth using an impression tray. Then we make a mold of your teeth using this tray as a guide. Finally, we take these impressions and make them into veneers!
Once the veneer is done, it will look similar to your natural teeth (maybe even better!). You’ll have all the same characteristics: strength and durability, flexibility and smoothness, resistance against bacteria and decay, all in one beautiful smile!
There are many different reasons a person may require veneers. Most cases are for a reliable cosmetic fix, but veneers can also improve your bite and tooth function. Here are some reasons to consider veneers:
- Stained Teeth: some stains are so severe they cannot be removed with bleaching methods.
- Chipped, Broken or Worn Teeth: whether it be injury or daily wear and tear, veneers can restore your smile to look strong, smooth and sparkling.
- Poorly Spaced or Crooked Teeth: imagine correcting your crooked or spaced smile without resorting to braces.
- Unappealing Smile: whatever it is that you don’t love about your smile, veneers could be the option for you. It’s important to love your smile.
Veneers Step by Step
- Removal of a thin layer of your natural tooth’s enamel: think of this like sanding the surface for a new finish. The structure of the tooth will not be altered, just prepared for its new covering.
- A mold of the tooth/teeth is taken.
- The mold is sent to a lab for your perfect, custom smile to be made.
- Once your custom smile is ready it will be placed on your teeth and adjusted to ensure no errors were made.
- The coverings are then bonded to your teeth and polished.
Veneers can be made from a number of materials, but we recommend Emax. It is strong, reliable and long-lasting. It resembles a healthy enamel and is custom fit just for you. With a custom color and the perfect fit you can finally have the smile of your dreams. Emax resembles tooth enamel, but is superior in its resistance to stain. Lastly, Emax only requires a thin layer of your natural tooth be removed for the porcelain to be bonded.
How Long Does It Take To Get My Dental Crowns Or Veneers?
The time it takes to get your dental crowns or veneers depends on a few factors. First, your dentist will need to take an impression of your teeth to create a mold for the crown or veneer. Next, the color of your teeth will be matched to ensure a natural look. Finally, the crown or veneer will be placed on your tooth and bonded into place. The entire process usually takes about two weeks from start to finish. Once you have your new smile, you’ll notice that food tastes better, and you can chew more comfortably. You’ll also find that talking is easier without worrying about biting down too hard.
Can I Eat After My Treatment?
Yes! After your treatment, you can resume eating your normal diet. There are a few things to keep in mind, though. First, avoid hard or crunchy foods for a few days while your teeth adjust to their new shape. Second, be careful with sticky foods like caramel – they can pull on your veneers and cause them to lose. Lastly, avoid chewing on ice or anything else that’s hard – this can damage your veneers. You’re also going to want to watch what you drink. Don’t brush immediately after drinking something hot or cold because it could melt your new tooth-colored coating if it’s not dry yet.
Choose Eagle Rock Dental Care For Your Veneer and Crown
Let us help you to get those tiny imperfections out of the way. We have extensive experience and expertise when it comes to dealing with minor dental flaws that can do a lot to change the way you look. With veneers, crowns, and other advanced treatments, we can help you sharpen your smile and give it a more stunning overall appearance. To schedule an appointment at Eagle Rock Dental Care, or learn more about our cosmetic dentistry services, feel free to contact us today!