What is the first question your dentist asks you as you situate yourself into the chair? ‘How are you, how are the kids?’ Well, of course, but shortly after they jump right into it with the big one: ‘How often are your flossing?’ There is a reason flossing is so important to your dentist and it should be just as important to you! Now, to get the job done let’s talk about the tools to use: floss picks or floss string.
Importance of Flossing
According to the American Dental Association, cleaning between your teeth may help prevent cavities and gum disease. Brushing can’t remove 100% of the plaque on our teeth. Plaque is just as tricky as it is sticky. It lurks between hard to reach molars and hides in plain slight against your canines. Flossing is essential to remove enough plaque to keep your oral health in tact.
Plaque that goes untouched forms into tartar, a hard substance that can only be removed by your dentist. Most cases of gum disease are started with plaque that was trapped between the teeth. Gum disease has some ugly, painful side effects. Polish up your flossing routine so that you can stick to only having a dental polish every 6 months.
Floss Picks or Floss String
Here’s the rub: flossing is flossing. You don’t have to copy your hygienist’s routine. To really figure out which flossing routine you want to start: here are some pros and cons to floss picks.
- Convenient: it is so easy to add to your daily routine, making a habit of flossing will be no problem.
- Efficient: quickly slip the picks between each tooth and you can check flossing off your daily to-do.
- Easy to reach back molars: get those hard to reach areas without trying to fit both hands in your mouth.
- Weak String: by using a smaller chunk of string, the floss picks can fray and break before you have finished your entire mouth.
- Pressure on Gums: floss picks present a risk of applying too much pressure to your gums, but with proper technique this is avoided.
- Short Lasting: a roll of floss string could last months, while a pack of picks will last you about 30 days.
Eagle Rock Dental Care is here to assist and advise your flossing routine. Come see us twice a year and we will keep you on track. Whether you are using floss picks or string, we just want you flossing! Let our personal and professional team be the perfect addition to your dental routine. Contact us for scheduling or jump online to request an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!