Fillings aren’t perfect, and it can be a real pain when something goes wrong. Keeping yourself educated can help you to make your fillings last longer, and hopefully, prevent the need for new fillings. Here are a few of the things everyone should know about dental fillings:
- Fillings Don’t Last Forever
- In fact, the average lifespan of a filling is about 12 years. In my experience, 12 years seems a little generous. They say that teeth are stronger than bones, and you better believe we put that to the test every day. As nice as it would be, fillings just aren’t as strong as our teeth. Because of this, even our normal eating habits prove to be too much for the composite bond and eventually will wear it down.
- Problems with Fillings Require URGENT Attention
- Don’t you dare put this off. If you notice sensitivity or unusual texture/roughness of a filling call your dentist as soon as possible. Cracks or lifts in fillings are exposing an already sensitive area to saliva and debris. If you don’t jump at this issue you could be looking at some much more serious dental procedures…dare I say it- the dreaded root canal. Do yourself a favor and let your dentist know as soon as you detect a problem.
- Fillings Require a Little Extra TLC
- Now, I’m not suggesting that you drastically change your diet and oral hygiene routine. I only suggest that you keep in mind that your teeth can handle a lot more than your fillings. Hard or acidic foods can damage your pearly whites and they can do even more damage to a repaired tooth. If you have a filling on your left side, consider chewing your corn nuts on the right. Use a toothpaste with fluoride and make sure you let your dentist know of any sensitivities you might have.
- Fillings are NOT a Guaranteed Protection
- Too many of us think that as soon as a tooth is repaired with a filling that it will never bother us again. Oh, how I wish that were true! But again, (as if I haven’t said it enough) fillings are not a substitute for natural teeth! Though long-term, fillings are not permanent and they sure aren’t perfect. However, with the proper care, they do protect a great deal.
With all the possible problems that can present after a filling, it sure helps to have a trusted, local dentist! At Eagle Rock Dental Care we are here to help you keep your smile protected and comfortable. Schedule your appointment online today or contact us at any of our three local offices!