Maintaining health and wellness during one’s lifetime is an important endeavor. By taking personal responsibility for staying healthy, individuals can prevent, improve, and even reverse many common medical conditions.
Few medical conditions are as universal or as certain as tooth decay. According to scientists at the Institute of Dentistry of the University of London, at least 4 billion people worldwide suffer from untreated cavities. This is a truly staggering figure, and raises questions about what should be done about the situation.
Luckily, the answer is simple and cheap; more people need to not only use effective toothpastes, but need to stick to using them consistently. This article will help our readers to identify a good toothpaste when they see one by offering this guide to improving dental care by using the proper toothpaste.
SO, JUST WHAT IS TOOTHPASTE?
At it’s most basic, toothpaste is a gel-like dental care substance that is applied to the bristles of a toothbrush, after which it is used to clean and disinfect the teeth as well as the rest of the mouth. Toothpastes come in many flavors and varieties, but all of the effective ones contain the same basic ingredients. These are:
- A binder that serves to keep all of the ingredients together
- Baking soda or in some cases chalk
- A foaming compound that assists in removing particles of uneaten food from the teeth.
- A humectant, which helps to maintain the moisture of the toothpaste.
- Some kind of flavoring
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO USE TOOTHPASTE ON A REGULAR BASIS?
The answer to this question is fairly self evident. A decent toothpaste will serve the functions of keeping the teeth clean, killing oral bacteria, preventing cavities, helping to keep the teeth structurally sound, and freshening the breath.
WHAT ARE SOME MAJOR VARIETIES OF TOOTHPASTE?
- Tartar control toothpastes. As their name suggests, their specialty is to control the buildup of tartar.
- Baking soda toothpastes.
- Smokers toothpastes. These are specially formulated to get rid of stains caused by cigarette use.
- Sensitive teeth toothpastes. Of great use to people with damaged and sensitive teeth.
- Tooth whitening toothpastes. They help to create a white finish on the teeth.
- Kid’s toothpastes. Specially formulated for the dental care of children.
WHICH TOOTHPASTE IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Everyone’s teeth are at different stages of development and health. Therefore, the answer to this question will depend on the personal circumstances of the individual user. To best answer this question, people should rely on the advice of their friendly family dentist.
For people living in Idaho Falls, Eagle Rock Dental Care is the right choice for all of your dental care needs. So give us a call. We’ll take care of your teeth, and your teeth will take care of you.